Sunday, October 27, 2013

Featured Fashionista - Brooke Mullins


When I first settled into Northumberland County, having moved from Toronto (aka the big city), part of me felt a loss; a void for the style and the arts that seemed to burst from the seams of every corner in my former home. Soon it was realized that my new digs were actually settled amongst pockets of the most delightful and remarkable people. Artisans of all talents, authors, directors, musicians, budding entrepreneurs, inventive chefs..and the fashionistas. As soon as I began to take notice it was like waking from a dream. How lucky I am to live in such an inspired and cultured community!! Of course I have a special fondness for the brave small town fashionista. I see her sitting at the local coffee shop wearing her exceptional Stuart Weitzman boots, kids in tow, looking effortlessly fabulous, just for the joy of it. Northumberland County is full of extraordinary people and fashion is everywhere..when you know where to look.

Brooke Mullins knows all about finding fabulous. I was lucky enough to meet Brooke at an art centered event or two and was instantly drawn to her eclectic and one-of-a-kind sense of style. I soon learned that not only is Brooke a fashionista in her own right but a huge supporter of women in business and a talented local designer responsible for my favorite jewelery must-have Button Bands. Brooke was kind enough to invite the darlings into her home for a tour of her envy worthy closet and share her top secrets for seeking style in Northumberland County.


Dress - Vintage. Head Piece - Michal Negrin. Purse - Mary Frances

The Darlings:
"If you could sum up your personal style in one word what would it be?"

Brooke:
"Eclectic."

The Darlings:
"Tell us a little bit about what has influenced your personal style today."

Brooke:

"I'm inspired by anything that is eye catching. I love seeing different types of fabrics and patterns mixed and woven together. I believe it was Prada that started that trend and it blew my mind the first time I saw it. As someone who sews, I can really appreciate the creativity. As for brands, I adore anything from Anthropology and Free People. And before I came to know brands, growing up, it was my mother's style that influenced me a lot."

The Darlings:
 "You've mentioned on several occasions your fondness for vintage shopping. Can you tell us some of your best tips for shopping vintage locally?"

Brooke:
"By far, the *Treasure Trove is a favorite for vintage finds. I'm still gutted that I got there a bit late one evening and missed out on scoring a beautiful cream bead and embroidery top. Another woman beat me to it. Wednesday nights are my favorite." 

*The Treasure Trove is a vintage and second-hand sale which takes place Wednesday, Friday and Saturday out of St. John's Church in Port Hope. All women's clothing items are $2 each and all the proceeds from sales go towards various local charities. Children's clothing items as well as household treasures are also available at the sale. 


 Dress - Vintage. Jacket - A treasured gift from Amsterdam. Necklace - A family heirloom. Boots - Suzy Sheer.

The Darlings
"What are your favorite local places to go shopping?"

Brooke
"Besides Treasure Trove I also love shopping for vintage at My Sister's Closet in Port Hope. For unique new clothing and accessories my favorite local shop is Impresario Artisan Market downtown Cobourg."

The Darlings
"What trends are you most excited about trying this Fall/Winter?"

Brooke
"I like all of the zippered shoes and dresses. I like the industrial look to them. I'd also like to get my hands on above the knee boots. Although, I can't help but think of Julia Roberts career in "Pretty Woman" when I see them."

The Darlings
"What's the best piece of fashion advice you could offer to a budding fashionista today?" 

Brooke
"If you don't feel good in what you are wearing, you're not going to look good. Confidence is number one, and unique accessories are always a plus."




The Darlings:
"What inspired you to launch your Button Bands collection?"

Brooke:
"I used to make children's clothing from re-purposing older clothes and fabrics. I soon found that I had an ever-growing collection of buttons and as so many of them were quite beautiful, little works of art actually, I wanted to find a way to also re-purpose them. Thus, Button Bands was born and almost four years later, I've no time to make anything but Button and Baroque Bands. I'm not complaining, however."

The Darlings:
"Tell us about one of your favorite buttons."

Brooke:
"I have fallen in love with many a button. People don't realize that buttons have changed the way we look in clothes. They not only gave us curves, but also a new way to accessorize. While I really can't name a favorite button, I have been hoping to come across a button of a fly. They used to be common over a hundred years ago and insects in jewelry seem to very popular this season. I like weird and quirky buttons, the most."

The Darlings:
"What advice would you give to someone who is thinking about turning their creative talents into their own business?"

Brooke:
"If you are thinking of starting up your own business, make sure you have a good accountant! I'd also say, as my mother always did," bravery is rewarded".


All photos by Jeannette Breward Photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment